Doomsday Clock (2017)

Répondre
ian0delond
Super Espoir

Doomsday Clock (2017)

Message par ian0delond »

The Button n'est pas encore fini que l'on nous tease le prochain cross over Rebirth :
Buddy Movie entre Superman et Docteur Manhattan respectivement dans les rôles d'Eddy Murphy et de Danny Glover.

On se retrouve en novembre pour la suite.
1.This is not a Watchmen sequel

"It is something else. It is Watchmen colliding with the DC Universe. It is the most personal and most epic, utterly mind-bending project I have ever worked on in my career. With Rebirth, I opened the door to Manhattan. Part of that was I loved the real-world influence Watchmen has. I put Manhattan out there, and always thought there was a Manhattan/Superman story to be told, but then ... it grew. And grew. It took my heart and soul over. Still, at the core of it, there’s a being who has lost his humanity, and distanced himself from it, and an alien who embodies humanity more than most humans. I love the idea that Watchmen influenced DC, but what would that look like in reverse? And it goes well beyond that."

2. This is a standalone story

"We’re not going to do a story like this unless we one-thousand percent believe in it. It is all about the story; it is only about the story. There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one. This is a standalone story. There is only Doomsday Clock. We had no interest in doing a crossover with this. We didn’t want to see Doctor Manhattan facing off against Superman in Action Comics, with all due respect. That is not what this is about. It is about something different … It will have an impact on the entire DC Universe. It will affect everything moving forward and everything that has come before. It will touch the thematic and literal essence of DC."

3. What characters are involved in the story

"There will be DC characters throughout this, but this focuses in on only a handful. There is a lot of focus on Superman, and Doctor Manhattan. Doctor Manhattan is a huge focus, and his reasons for being here, and doing what he does, ultimately have to do with Superman. And there are many, many more characters to be involved, but it is a bit early to discuss."

4. The origins of the story

"When Rebirth kicked off, and I wrote the special and worked with all the teams, and all the books did their own thing, I talked to Gary, and said there is a really interesting story with Doctor Manhattan, and his point of view, and the intersection into what is the DC Universe. We debated whether we would ever want to do it, because it is a big job. We talked for six months, and the truth is, it wasn’t until the election, and post-election, that I called Gary and said, 'I’ve got the complete story.'"

5. This is a timely story (And a story for our times?)

"It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper. It is about the world, and the attitude of people. I feel like there are extremes now everywhere, extremes on all sides. There is no more olive branch. It doesn’t exist. I feel like people, more and more, are separated. They are choosing sides, instead of figuring out how to make life better together. There is a real sense of anger, and frustration, and there is not a lot of compassion, or willingness to understand in the world. Telling a story of two extremes, and exploring what our collective zeitgeist states through these characters is what we are doing. We think it’s important … The truth is, if the world and the country didn’t go a certain way, I don’t know that we would be telling this story. For us, the story would not exist if the last year didn’t unfold the way it did, and the rise of extremism wasn't so palpable."

6. On Johns’ partnership with Gary Frank

"I said if Gary Frank doesn’t draw this, I’m not doing this book. There is no other artist that can do this on the planet. We have been working together nonstop since, I think, 2005. Everything I have done with Gary, I would hand to somebody and say, “You want to know what I do?” This. Here is Braniac, Legion of Super Heroes, Shazam, here’s Batman: Earth One. Everything we’ve ever done together is super new-reader friendly. You can read them in any order. We meld on a creative level, and you don’t find that often. He was the only one, to me, that can capture something like this. We were working on Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done. And as we were, we were talking, and this came up. He was very on the fence because of the material, but once we talked about the story, we thought it was something – maybe more than anything else we’ve done – we believe in. We have never been more enthusiastic about a project. This is the most powerful creative energy I have felt working in comics. Everything I have ever done in comics has led to Doomsday Clock."

By the way, Brian Cunningham, our editor, we specifically requested him. He’s the best for us. As a team, he brings a lot of this. He’s the only other one who knows the whole story, along with Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. I feel like he is the producer, I’m the screenwriter, and Gary is the director."

7. About that title

"It takes the iconic elements of both Superman and Watchmen, and the DC Universe. It felt like the perfect title. I like the “DC.” It used to be called 'The Doomsday Clock,' but I took 'The' off. Obviously people know who Doomsday is, but he’s not a part of the story, but I like the implications of it. People will think the last time they heard Doomsday and Superman, he died, so what is this going to be? What is he going to go through this time? And how will it affect them going forward?"

8. If Rebirth brought hope back to the DCU, will the grime of Watchmen infect it?

"That’s exactly the point of the story. Will it? Can it?

I believe in the power of these icons. I believe in the power of hope, and optimism. I don’t think it’s fake. People tend to say if it’s grim, and gritty, it’s real, and grounded. I refuse that … And I don’t care if it stirs up drama. But I want it to be drama in the right way. I think Gary and I have earned the right to do a story we believe in. With Rebirth, I think we proved we care, and take this seriously. We love Watchmen. We love the DC Universe."

9. If there were doubts in tackling this story

"Have I had doubts about this story? That’s why it’s not coming out until November. It didn’t come out last November, or last July. Gary and I both equally thought, only if we have a story that we have to tell. It took eight months for us to go, 'You know what, we do.' We take the responsibility extremely seriously."

10. On the emotional connection to the Rebirth Special

"The Rebirth Special was so personal, so important to me. It was not about relaunching a line. It was about a story I wanted to tell. That’s why it was good. I don’t think all my comics turn out great, but that one, I do. Because I believed in it so much. I felt it. I didn't like the DC Universe where it was, and wanted a story that put back what I missed as a fan. This challenges Rebirth, and is the story of, 'Can I reaffirm Rebirth?'"

[Spoilery questions about The Flash #22]

11. At the end of The Flash #22, Batman sees the signal from Wayne Manor, and questions answering it...

"That’s exactly what Manhattan wanted. What he wanted was to get Bruce out of the way."

12. About the final page of The Flash #22, which shows a battered Superman shield.

"That is by design. What are the flaws in Superman? How far can Superman fall. We’re going to find out. There is still so much more to come, but we'll get deeper into it soon."
Mocassin
Super Légende

Re: Doomsday Clock (Novembre 2017)

Message par Mocassin »

Batman293
Super Héros

Message par Batman293 »

Bon bah c'est absolument génial. L'interview est excellente. Johns a l'air plus confiant que jamais (et ce n'est pas Scott Snyder). Je retiens une seule chose qui s'applique à tous les supports :
People tend to say if it’s grim, and gritty, it’s real, and grounded. I refuse that…
Et attention aux spoils sur le dernier numéro de The Button qui a l'air vraiment vraiment révolutionnaire. Ça a l'air d'être le numéro qui montrera ce qu'est Rebirth et où ça mènera.

J'imagine déjà un magnifique HC avec DC Universe Rebirth #1, The Button et Doomsday Clock à la suite et je le veux.
Jason Todd
Super Légende

Message par Jason Todd »

Je suis surtout intéressé par l'écriture qui liera Superman et Manhattan. Si on a le Johns des meilleurs jours de JSA ou Flash, je pense qu'il y a moyen d'avoir quelque chose de plutôt fin au niveau de leur rapport l'un à l'autre avec Jon qui pourrait se questionner sur comment Kal peut rester aussi proche des humains malgré ses pouvoirs alors que lui n'a pas réussi à garder son humanité.
Vittorini
Super Légende

Re: Doomsday Clock (2017)

Message par Vittorini »

Comme tout le monde, je suis impatient de découvrir cette oeuvre.

Et l'interview est franchement exaltante. J'ai percuté sur la même phrase que 293 ! :D

Mais ça fait également du bien de lire autant d'assurance, de confiance et d'honnêteté. Johns semble jouer cartes sur table et nous épargne les sempiternels "ouai, ça fait des années qu'on a bossé pour en arriver là", ravi de voir qu'ils prennent leur temps (huit mois quand même) et ne veulent pas saloper le boulot.
The Zizi Too Fast Squad likes this message
Resendes a écrit : 22 oct. 2021 14:16 Jute 2 secondes
Resendes a écrit : 19 juil. 2023 15:05 Ah oui tu es chaud ! Je t'envie haha
Mocassin
Super Légende

Message par Mocassin »

Il a beau être honnête, la phrase dont tu parles sent quand même bien le calcul. C'est typiquement ce qui est reproché à DC au cinéma et avant pour les New 52, alors qu'il en était aussi un architecte. Ne sois pas aussi naïf mon bon Vitto :sleep
Batman293
Super Héros

Message par Batman293 »

L'architecte des New 52 c'est surtout DiDio. Johns a pas vraiment eu son mot à dire. Mais avec Rebirth c'est le retour de Johns sur la direction global de l'univers. D'ailleurs, comme dit dans le billet d'Arno, ça m'étonnerait pas que c'est la raison qui a poussé DiDio à lancer Dark Matter.
Jason Todd
Super Légende

Message par Jason Todd »

Batman293 a écrit : 16 mai 2017 19:22 L'architecte des New 52 c'est surtout DiDio.
Et Lee. Je pense que ce dernier, au vu des postes qu'il a occupé, avait un rôle tout aussi important que celui de Didio, au moins pour l'aspect visuel de cet univers.
Batman293
Super Héros

Message par Batman293 »

J'ai toujours eu du mal à voir le rôle que joue Lee.
Batman293
Super Héros

Message par Batman293 »

Vous pensez que ce sera en 12 numéros comme Watchmen ?
Répondre